I have written many anti-littering articles to the Post through the years. I have been extolling the evils of littering in the hopes that those people who do it would for once wake up and stop this horrible illegal habit. I think that, for many of them, it is second nature to toss trash out of vehicle windows. I think it is an ingrained habit that is generational. Parents did it, so it must be OK.
I have picked up other people’s litter on my road for many years. You probably have seen me out there with a grabber tool and a garbage bag. By and large, the litter generated is restaurant packaging. Lots and lots of beer and liquor bottles (getting rid of evidence if stopped) and cigarette packages are also common. Funny, I’ve never seen “do not litter” notices in Burger King, Culvers or McDonalds!
Today, I’d like to discuss a new type of littering which it seems is becoming more common. It’s the advertising posters for lawn care companies, real estate companies, and the list goes on and on. They are stuck in the ground on wire supports, or stapled to utility poles. A common place is at intersections. Why do we have to look at their litter? I’d like to ask the Salisbury City Council to inact a law to charge and convict these people who, without asking permission, put up their illegal signs. Their contact info is on the posters. City Council can ask law enforcement to intervene. I would ask those individuals who are reading this article in the Post and have been littering, to stop and think — please stop this evil, unethical and wrong practice.
— Dick Richards
Salisbury