Today, I’m thinking about Dolly Parton.
Like so many people, I felt a genuine sense of loss when I learned that Dolly had died. And yet, I never met her. I wasn’t her friend. She didn’t know my name. So why does her death feel personal?
I think that’s something worth talking about.
We sometimes forget that people can become part of our lives without ever knowing us. Through music, books, movies, art, stories and the things they create, people can accompany us through entire chapters of our lives.
Dolly was one of those people.
Her songs were there for celebrations, heartbreak, long car rides, quiet moments, family memories, and difficult seasons. Her movies made us laugh. Her words encouraged people. Her generosity and commitment to literacy touched millions of children and families. And her larger-than-life personality somehow made her feel familiar, even to people who had never been anywhere near her.
When someone like that dies, we aren’t grieving a personal relationship. We are grieving what they meant to us.
Sometimes their death also opens the door to other grief. It reminds us of people we’ve lost, places we can’t return to, childhoods that are gone, or versions of ourselves that existed when their music or work first became meaningful to us.
And then there is the uncomfortable reminder that someone who seemed almost larger than life was still human.
Dolly Parton lived 80 years, created an extraordinary body of work, and left behind a legacy that will continue long after today. But for those of us mourning her, today may still feel like the end of something.
Maybe that’s why grieving someone we’ve never met isn’t strange at all.
Grief doesn’t require a personal relationship. Sometimes it only requires that someone mattered.
And perhaps the most beautiful thing we can do with that grief is to keep the good things moving forward: the music, the laughter, the kindness, the stories, the generosity and the reminder that one person really can make the world a little brighter.
Rest easy, Dolly. Thank you for being part of so many of our lives.
“Dear Neighbor” authors are united in a belief that civility and passion can coexist. We believe curiosity and conversation make us a better community.